Thursday, February 25, 2010

I cleaned my cement with a cleaner, degreaser, then painted it, colors are flat. What can I do to add depth?

I used Thompson's Watersealer concrete care cleaner and degreaser solvent. I painted made a mosaic pattern with color stain (, but the colors seem to bright. Could I use a hue, semi-transparent stain, gloss paint to darken the overall appearance? The pattern has colors of red, baby blue, terracotta and cream. Outlined with the cream color. What I am afraid of is that it might get too dark, and the terracotta color, and the outline match my house. This was my first time working with cement, and the brown color I picked looks red, and the silver colors looks baby blue. The colors changed when I painted it, but I went ahead and painted it the colors I picked hoping that within time the colors would change from the weather. HELP what should I do?I cleaned my cement with a cleaner, degreaser, then painted it, colors are flat. What can I do to add depth?
First, I take it this was done outside, since you mentioned the weather. Second, did you seal the concrete first? If not, try about a gallon of sealer, with the smallest can, (1/2pint, I think) of a deep chocolate, not black, mixed in. Then seal over what you have painted and see if the colors aren't a bit more toned down. Sounds like a beautiful job anyway, my hat's off to you. Good luckI cleaned my cement with a cleaner, degreaser, then painted it, colors are flat. What can I do to add depth?
OOOps! I thought you were doing the concrete floor inside.

Report Abuse



Why not sponge a lighter color or shade onto each of the colors? Either leave the ';sponge'; look or sponge and wipe of some of the color, leaving a bit for ';texture.';





I saw some concrete guys who were painting a kitchen floor andwhile the paint was wet on the boarder, they sprinkled Fritos (yup the chips) on the paint. Once the paint dried and the chips were picked up, it left a really cool effect in the paint. I can't wait to try it out in my home!
What if you added a little black to the brown to down play the red? You're braver than I am to try such an enormous project out but it sounds really cute. I love mosaic anything!
You could try a very small amount of a med brown mixed into a wax. You have to rub the wax on and buff it more than once to get the colors to look great. I don't know what kind of wax my sister used on her cement floor but it looked like a beautiful green marble with veins of beige when she finished. She did her whole downstairs in it. It hasn't shown any wear for about 7 years now and she just has to damp mop to keep it nice! Check with the paint supply for the wax you need. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment